7 Things To Know About Dental Insurance
7 Facts About Dental Insurance You Need To Know
Although insurance should never dictate treatment, a lot of us have questions about our dental insurance coverage.
And while insurance is something we should all have, a lot of us have trouble understanding confusing dental insurance terms or paying for much-needed dental treatment.
If you are not on an employer plan, and you pay for your own dental insurance, it pays to shop around and compare the benefits with the cost of the insurance.
Here are seven things you need to know about your dental insurance benefits:
- Dental insurance benefits expire annually – usually on Dec 31st.
- Insurance is a supplemental payment option for treatment, no dental insurance policy covers 100% of treatment.
- Most dental insurance policies have deductibles or annual maximums.
- Some insurance plans help cover treatment costs associated with Invisalign, veneers, or dental implants, while others don’t cover even routine dental services like fillings, root canals, or gum disease treatment.
- Most dental insurance plans cover less than what they promise, passing the perceived blame onto your dentist. They’ll tout that they pay “80% to 100%” of costs but most plans cover way less.
- The amount your plan covers is determined by the coverage you purchase – or your employer purchased. Generally speaking, the less you (or your employer) paid for the coverage, the fewer benefits your plan provides.
- Although your specific PPO or HMO provides a list of participating doctors, that doesn’t always mean you don’t have choices. Check your policy, you might not be so limited as you first thought.
If you want to save money at the dentist, you need to educate yourself about what your specific plan options are – and change insurance plans if need be.
National Insurance Awareness Day Is June 28
According to NationalDayCalendar.org, National Insurance Awareness Day is observed annually on June 28. This day was created as a day to review your insurance coverage.
Insurance offers security, covering loved ones and recovering losses in the event of damage, illness or death.
What To Do On #NationalInsuranceAwarenessDay?
Well, surely the insurance professionals out there are commiserating & celebrating, probably getting crazy at some industry shindig.
If you don’t any other day of the year, except maybe for December 31st – since virtually all dental insurance policies & FSAs (Flex-Spending Accounts) expire at the end of every year – take time to review your dental insurance coverage.
Firstly, you’ll want to make sure that you are not under or over-insured, that would be one surefire way to waste money on dental insurance.
Secondly, you want to know how much you have available for needed or emergency treatment.
Plan accordingly, review your dental insurance policy at least quarterly and be sure to maximize your insurance benefits.
Remember, dental insurance benefits expire every year, if you don’t use ’em, you’ll lose ’em!
Wayne NJ Dentist: Wayne Dental Arts office of Frank V. Maldonado, D.D.S.
We proudly provide all phases of General & Cosmetic Dentistry services for Wayne and the surrounding North Jersey communities of Franklin Lakes, Montville, Kinnelon, Oakland, Pompton Lakes, Pompton Plains, Towaco, Butler, Paterson, Lincoln Park, Pequannock, Little Falls and Fairfield.
Compassionate Care. Modern Technology. Exceptional Results.
A new beautiful smile is just a phone call away…schedule your appointment today at (973) 694-8625.
Connect With Us
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on a Dental Patient News and has been republished here with permission. It has since been updated for accuracy & comprehensiveness.
Comments are closed.